December 17, 2011

(Off) Season's Greetings!

With the 2011 triathlon season behind us, Jason and I have entered a short period of time we like to call the "off-season." This is a time to physically and mentally restore our bodies and minds in anticipation of an exciting and busy 2012 season. It's a time to go on "casual" rides, swim as long or as short as we wish, explore new running routes and leave the Garmin watches at home. It's also a time to take a step back and enjoy the simple pleasures of swim/bike/run....

...a chilly morning run around Town Lake decorated with frost and the smell of burning wood in fireplaces...


...steam coming off the water at Barton Springs as you swim amongst fish, turtles and the humorous deep-water-diving-duck (whom I've affectionately name Stu)....


...solo rides down Riverhills road with only deer and peacocks to keep you company...



...group rides with good friends, lots of laughs, and hills, Hills, HILLS!




...and, of course, more quality time with my husband-to-be...



Our 2012 triathlon season promises to be exciting and jam-packed, with some adjustments in our respective training plans. I've teamed up with professional triathlete and coach, Hillary Biscay, to focus on Iron Distance racing, while Jason has the 70.3 World Championships to prepare for while focusing on his strongest distance, half-ironmans. Casual base training has begun for me and I'm fired up! Jason remains in chill-mode for a few weeks yet, but even at that, he still out-sprints me on the bike. Arrggh!

Here's to hoping your holiday season is filled with laughter, the outdoors, good friends and a Christmas-themed Clif Bar (or two)!





1 comment:

  1. Wooh!! I see that little butt squeeze Mr. Jason. ;)

    Hope you're enjoying the off season... I know those Garmin-less runs were pretty much the greatest things ever. (Sometimes makes me wonder why I keep it!?)

    ReplyDelete